Who we are
METALtech uk’s motto is ‘quality without compromise’ and this is what underpins our reputation as a highly-respected metal fabrication company with a long and proven track record in designing, supplying, and installing high-quality products to a broad range of clients.
We maintain the high level of continuous improvement and service our customers expect through our ISO 9001-certified integrated management system which monitors all key areas of the business to ensure expectations are met while deliveries are on time and to budget.
METALtech uk also uses a BBA-certified factory production control and welding quality management system allowing us to CE-mark structural steel components to EXC3 in accordance with EN 1090.
We are a privately-owned enterprise based in the city of Dundee, on Scotland’s east coast, and our roots go back more than 40 years to 1979 when our managing director Wattie Milne’s father established Wattie’s Welders and Fabricators in the city’s Rosemill district.
Mr Milne joined the company a year later as an apprentice blacksmith fabricator, taking over from his father in 2000. By then, the business had moved on from small fabrication and repair jobs to working with main contractors like Lendlease, Sir Robert McAlpine, and Balfour Beattie.
Between 2000 and 2007, the business evolved further to include more of the architectural metalwork elements for which we are now widely recognised, and in 2008 the business rebranded to become METALtech uk, broadening its reach and moving with a 14-strong workforce to purpose-built premises on Dundee’s West Pitkerro Industrial Estate.
METALtech uk’s turnover has increased steadily since then and is on target to reach between £6 and £7 million by the end of 2022. We now employ more than 50 people who operate from three fabrication facilities — our carbon steel workshop, for managing mild steel, and our stainless steel & non-ferrous metal workshops for stainless steel, aluminium, and other non-ferrous metals, each with 13,000 sq ft in floor space. In our 10,000 sq ft profiles workshop, we carry out laser and HD plasma cutting, and we also have a full in-house design & drawing capability.
- SAFETY: We put safety at the forefront of all our decision-making, and we strive to meet — or exceed — our clients’ requirements with this as our top priority.
- INNOVATION: We embrace change and see obstacles as opportunities. We always encourage creativity that challenges constraints and drives progress through continuous improvement.
- QUALITY: Our motto is ‘quality without compromise’ and this plays a central role in all that we do. We take enormous pride in delivering to the highest standards and enhancing our reputation as a top quality, professional operation.
- INTEGRITY: All our business is conducted with uncompromising standards of fairness, honesty, transparency, and through ethical conduct. We keep our commitments and do what we say we will do.
- TEAMWORK: We work best when we work together, and the success of every task depends on us as a team creating a collaborative culture that benefits the company — and all of us — as a whole.
At Metaltech uk, our policy of continuous improvement is achieved by investing in our employees, machinery and IT systems, to improve the efficiency of product manufacture and shop floor control.
As a company, METALtech uk is committed to investing in the community by creating jobs and developing skills across the Tayside region.
Developing new talent within engineering is key to our business success, and our apprentice programme enables us to build expertise from the ground up, adding to the local skills pool.
We have conducted yearly intakes of apprentices from the local area since 2008 and we typically employ eight at various stages of their four-year training programme.
Our scheme involves time in the workshops and on site, in a range of areas from fabricating, profile cutting, folding, punching, welding, and installation, combined with day release for study at Dundee and Angus College. Each of our apprentices is allocated a mentor within METALtech uk to offer them additional support.
With the current skills shortage in the construction industry, METALtech uk is proud to buck the trend in this economic climate by making a long-term investment in our employees and offering extensive training and career development opportunities.
It is so rewarding to witness our apprentices grow in confidence and become great tradespeople, and we support them wholeheartedly on their journey with us.